Saturday, July 11, 2009

Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya ... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes.

I've been bouncing back and forth between Jaws and West Side Story and it's kind of surreal. They're two of my favorite movies. They both involve sharks. Only one involves jets. The better songs are in WSS (but the jams on Quint's boat aren't bad, and Quint has a way with the sea shanties). I give the nod to Jaws because of Quint:
  • "I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!"
  • "Cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water. Our shark. [sings] Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies..."
  • "Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the pond chasin' bluegills and tommycods. This shark, swallow you whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go ... Ten thousand dollars for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing."
When you're a jet you're a jet all the way - but I'm talkin 'bout workin' for a livin' - I'm talkin' about sharkin'

No comments:

Post a Comment